FUNDAMENTAL GROUNDWORK AND RIDING COURSE
I. Theoretical Part
1) Safety and horse handling
2) Basic horse anatomy
3) Horse behavior: Temperament; differences in behavior regarding sex, age;
Horse hierarchy; bad habits (reasons why?)
4) Horse care; feeding, watering; stall space and stall cleaning; grooming, hoof care, hoof trimming and shoeing;
Basic health problems and first aid
5) Horse gaits
6) Introduction to the zones of the horse
7) Horse tack (types and usage: saddles (basic introduction and care)
Types of bridles and their parts (reins, bits, headstalls, hackamores, etc.)
Bitless bridles and halters, and other tack (sticks, lunging lines for groundwork, ropes) - (information on basic use)
II. Practical Part
Practical horse handling:
1) Safely approaching an unknown horse
2) Haltering the horse
3) Ways of leading the horse in and out from the pasture
4) Ways of leading the horse in and out of the stall
5) Grooming and horse preparation for riding
6) Hoof cleaning
7) Saddling the horse from both sides
9) Basic knots when working with horses
Fundamental Groundwork Skills
1) Leading, establishing your personal space, ways to back up the horse
2) Desensitizing the zones of the horse with the stick, rope and your hand
3) Desensitizing by slapping with a stick in front and next to the horse
4) Other desensitizing exercises.
5) Basic control of the zones of the horse
a) Zone 1 – Backing up and drawing in with the aid of a stick, halter and groundwork line. Lateral and vertical flexion.
b) Zone 4 – Moving the hip by applying rhythmic or constant pressure with the aid of a line, stick and hand pressure (at least a few steps)
c) Zone 2 – Moving the shoulders by applying rhythmic or constant pressure with the aid of a line, stick and hand pressure (at least a few steps)
6) Lunging for respect at a trot and yielding the hindquarters
7) Lunging for respect at a trot and yielding the forequarters (rollback)
Fundamental Riding Skills
(70 hours + 8 free)
1) Vertical and lateral flexion of zone 1 with a bit from the ground
2) lateral flexion of zone 1, disengaging zone 4 by applying constant pressure with the hand
3) Mounting and dismounting on both sides of the horse
4) Vertical and lateral flexion of zone 1 with a bit from the saddle
5) lateral flexion of zone 1, disengaging zone 4 by applying constant pressure with the leg
6) Developing an independent seat at a walk, trot, canter and lope
7) Using sitting trot, posting and trotting on the stirrups
8) Changing diagonals when trotting
9) Using sitting lope and loping on the stirrups
10) Using three ways of stopping the horse at all gaits
(stopping with one rein, both reins and cavalry stop)
11) Proper use of the reins and body – going, stopping, back up, turning, strait lines and circling at all gaits
12) Basic control of the zones of the horse
13) Disengaging zone 4 from all gaits of the horse
14) Circle bending exercise from all gaits
15) Vertical flexion of zone 1, back up from all gaits
16) Riding at all gaits on a loose rein with a steady pace
17) Square with diagonal change at a trot
18) Clover leaf pattern at a trot
- Fundamental course 3300 BGN
- Exam fee is 120 BGN
- Extra hours are 33 BGN per hour
All the prices are without VAT.
The participants are taking the exam in front of examining committee of at least two instructors. If needed they can take extra hours regarding the theoretical and practical course modules, paying the preference price of 33 BGN per hour.
The fee for the fundamental course can be reached with three payments:
First payment -1700 BGN is to be paid before the starting of the course.
Second payment – 900 BGN is to be paid before the end of the first month of the course,
Third payment – 700 BGN is to be paid before the end of the second month of the course.
If the fee is paid fully in one installment, you can use 5% off the price for the course.
Regarding the course
The fundamental course is designed for practical and western horsemanship, not for show jumping, dressage or horse racing. The skills and knowledge the participants will enquire will depend on their personal physical and motivational attributes.
The duration for the fundamental course is 6 months, if the participants are training three times weakly. The training lessons for the course are done on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The duration of the training lessons is 1 hour per coming, for the first month, and 2 hours for the rest of the course. If needed the number of lessons and their duration can be prolonged upon additional agreement. If the participant doesn’t show up for more than three booked lessons, they have to be paid in full.
The participants who have passed the fundamental exam will receive a “Certificate of Achievement – Fundamental Level” and can continue with the next levels of practical horsemanship offered by “Adgor” or other training centers. Also after passing our third Practical Horsemanship Program level the participants can work in “Adgor” as horsemanship instructors.
-Free 8 (eight) hours groundwork and/or riding.
-5% off when fee is paid fully in one installment.
“Adgor” riding stable can change the terms of the course without further notice.